The world has a variety of incredible natural creations. Consequently, a great many lists make note of these natural wonders. Some of these lists include natural wonders that are millions of years old. Alternatively, some of the lists include natural wonders that were discovered centuries ago by man. Not surprisingly, scientists understand some natural wonders, while others carry with them unanswered questions as well as an air of mystery.
Alongside the lists that include wonders of the natural world, a person can easily find an assortment of similar lists. For example, there are lists that record the wonders of the ancient world. Other lists include wonders of the modern world as well as man made wonders. A list that includes wonders of the natural world focuses on the amazing sights found in nature that have the power to take a person’s breath away. This article brings to light just a few of the natural wonders that the world has to offer.
Angel Falls in Venezuela
The Angel Falls of Venezuela were named after an adventurous pilot named Jimmy Angel. The pilot experienced a harrowing landing on the mountain, but miraculously survived along with his passengers. Angel Falls are known as the world’s tallest. Its waters tumble over 3,000 feet into its pools below.
- A Profile of Angel Falls in Venezuela: Features a look at the qualities of Angel Falls that make it an amazing sight.
- A Look at Angel Falls in Venezuela: Read some intriguing facts behind this spectacular waterfall.
- Angel Falls: More facts on the highest waterfall in the world.
The Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia, Canada
One of the reasons that the Bay of Fundy is known as a natural wonder is for its tides of 50 feet! There are a number of other sights to see around the Bay of Fundy including its sea stacks, mud flats, and rock cliffs. The Bay of Fundy is located in Canada between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Hundreds of species of birds are familiar with the Bay of Fundy, in particular the beloved sandpiper.
- Facts on the Bay of Fundy: Learn some specific facts regarding the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia, Canada including a description of the environment and climate.
- Tides in the Bay of Fundy: More information on the 50 foot tides in the Bay of Fundy
The Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA
The Grand Canyon was formed over millions of years due to erosion caused by the Colorado River. Its rock formations that belong to different time periods make it a natural wonder. This scenic canyon is 277 miles in length. A visitor cannot help but be overwhelmed by the sight of this canyon that can reach 18 miles wide.
- Grand Canyon: Learn facts about the Grand Canyon such as its actual size and how it was formed.
- A Look at the Grand Canyon: Find out about a variety of aspects of the Grand Canyon including the plants and animals that live there along with its archaeology.
- Aspects of the Grand Canyon: Discover a description of the Grand Canyon along with its history.
- Arizona’s Natural Wonders: Read about the characteristics of the Grand Canyon as well as other natural wonders in Arizona.
The Great Barrier Reef in Australia
The Great Barrier Reef is a natural wonder partly due to the incredible collection of life around it. For instance, there are six sea turtle species there as well as 400 coral species. Water snakes, birds, fish, and mollusks are just a few of the other inhabitants of the Great Barrier Reef. This natural wonder of coral measures in at 1,250 miles long.
- Overview of the Great Barrier Reef: Features an introduction to the great barrier reef.
- Great Barrier Reef: A brief description of the Great Barrier Reef by UNESCO World Heritage.
- Great Barrier Reef: Seven Natural Wonders of the World: A listing of quick facts and ways to experience the barrier reef.
Iguassu Falls in Brazil and Argentina
There are 275 waterfalls contained in what are known as the Iguassu Falls. They are connected with the Iguassu River. The water of the falls drops approximately 300 feet to the pools below. The name Iguassu translates as, “great water.”
- All about the Iguassu Falls: Learn some of the facts about the Iguassu Falls as well as tips on viewing them.
- Facts on the Iguassu Falls: Checkout a gathering of facts regarding the Iguassu Falls such as its geology and myths that are connected with it.
Krakatau Island in Indonesia
The natural wonder of Krakatau measures approximately 2,667 feet in height. In 1883, the volcano of Krakatau experienced a tremendously violent eruption. There were tsunamis that occurred along with the eruption. Many people lost their lives as a result of that eruption and its side effects.
- History of Krakatau Island: Find an overview of the history of Krakatau.
- Krakatau Eruption: Read a description of the tremendous eruption of Mt. Krakatau in 1883.
- Background of Volcanic Activity of Krakatau Island: Discover a detailed description of the volcanic history of Krakatau.
Mount Everest in Nepal
Millions of years old, Mount Everest is connected with the Himalayan Mountains. Mount Everest is known as the world’s highest mountain. It is approximately 29,035 feet tall. This natural wonder is located on the border between Nepal and Tibet.
- Facts on Mount Everest: Features answers to intriguing questions about Mt. Everest including how it got its name.
- A Revealing Lesson on Mount Everest: Read a background of Mount Everest that includes information on different local names for this natural wonder.
Mount Fuji in Japan
Mount Fuji, a natural wonder located in Japan is the tallest mountain there. Mount Fuji is approximately 12,388 feet in height. It is located on Honshu Island. Five lakes are associated with Mount Fuji.
- Natural Wonders: Mount Fuji: Learn quick facts about Mt. Fuji in Japan.
- Mount Fuji Facts and Information: Discover the geological makeup of Mount Fuji as well as some of its history.
Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
Along with being a natural wonder, Mount Kilimanjaro is known as Africa’s highest mountain. The height of Mt. Kilimanjaro is 19,340 feet. It is a mountain that is freestanding. Mt. Kilimanjaro possesses a great variety of vegetation.
- Information on Mount Kilimanjaro: Learn about the geology of Mt. Kilimanjaro along with other interesting facts.
- Natural Wonders: Mount Kilimanjaro: Quick facts on the tallest free standing mountain.
Niagara Falls in Canada and the USA
Niagara Falls is not only a natural wonder, but also a popular attraction to visit. Niagara Falls consists of the American Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, and the Canadian or Horseshoe Falls. Niagara Falls has a tremendous volume of water that goes to help generate power. The water travelling down Niagara Falls reaches speeds of close to 70 miles per hour!
- Niagara Falls Information: Read some interesting details about Niagara Falls.
- Facts about Niagara Falls: Interesting facts and pictures on Niagara Falls.
Paricutin Volcano in Mexico
This cinder cone volcano is a natural wonder that last erupted in 1952. It is located in a place called Michoacán, Mexico. The origin of the Paricutin volcano is thought to have been a cornfield. Scientists have been able to observe the revealing life cycle of this volcano between the years of 1943 to 1952.
- Natural Wonders:Paricutin Volcano: Check out some quick facts and ways to experience the Paricutin volcano.
Victoria Falls in Zambia and Zimbabwe
The Victoria Falls are part of the Zambezi River. A man named David Livingstone discovered this thundering natural wonder in 1855. He decided to name the falls in honor of Queen Victoria. The Victoria Falls are approximately 350 feet tall.
- Natural Wonders: Victoria Falls in Zambia and Zimbabwe: Features some quick facts and ways in which to experiences the falls.
More Wonders of the Natural World Information