There is no doubt that the Grand Canyon is an amazing spectacle to behold. In addition, its many rock formations reveal its geological history. Geologists have been able to determine the types of rock that make up the Grand Canyon. Furthermore, they have assigned time periods to the various rock layers. The Grand Canyon has been taking shape for billions of years. The erosion brought on by the Colorado River had a great deal to do with the creation of this astounding place. Whether it is a geologist who is fascinated by its rock layers or an everyday visitor whose breath is swept away by its majestic views, the Grand Canyon continues to be appreciated by all.
Geological Formations of the Grand Canyon
- Geology of the Grand Canyon: A detailed look at the geological makeup of the Grand Canyon.
- A Look at the Geology of the Grand Canyon: Find a breakdown of the rock layers of the Grand Canyon.
- The Layers of Rock in the Grand Canyon: Read a description of the Grand Canyon that includes information about its rock layers.
- An Illustration of the Rock Layers of the Grand Canyon: Look at the diagram that helps to explain the formation of the Grand Canyon. There is a written explanation as well.
- The Geological History of the Grand Canyon: Contains a diagram of the layers that makeup the Grand Canyon as well as descriptions of the material.
- Geological Formations of the Grand Canyon and More: Learn about the Grand Canyon’s rock layers along with their time periods. Also, read information on its geography.
- History of the Grand Canyon: Find information about the Grand Canyon and get an idea of various land formations and vegetation.
- Rocks of the Grand Canyon: Learn about the igneous rocks of the Grand Canyon.
- All about the Geology of the Grand Canyon: Read a description of the rock layers of the Grand Canyon.
- Geological Profile of the Grand Canyon: Study an illustration of the rock layers of the Grand Canyon and read other fascinating information about this place.
- Grand Canyon Educational Information: Learn more about the Grand Canyon and checkout the option to take a virtual tour.
- Facts on Grand Canyon Caverns: Peruse some information on the formations inside the Grand Canyon caverns.
- An Overview of the Geological Makeup of the Grand Canyon: The geological layers of the Grand Canyon are outlined and described.
- Unconformity in the Grand Canyon: A look at the unconformities in the Grand Canyon.
- Attributes of Arizona: Features information on the many attributes of the state of Arizona including information on the Grand Canyon.
- A Detailed Explanation of the Geology of the Grand Canyon: Read about the geology of the Grand Canyon.
- Grand Canyon Rock Formations: Study information about the rock formations of the Grand Canyon.
A Geology Web Quest
- Grand Canyon Web Quest: High school students and anyone else interested in discovering more about the rock layers of the Grand Canyon will enjoy this intriguing web quest.
Information on Erosion and the Rock Cycle
- Erosion and the Grand Canyon: Look at the significance of erosion on the formation of the Grand Canyon.
- Explanation of Rock Cycle: Discover facts about the rock cycle itself and the descriptions of different types of rocks.
Grand Canyon Animals
Snakes & Reptiles
Grand Canyon Plant Life
Grand Canyon Geology
Grand Canyon History
John Wesley Powell
Mary Jane Colter